Saturday, April 14, 2012

Art is Hereditary

New Things: Parking Lot Carnival, Easter in WV, Just Dance on Wii in our apt, I did a dance dare, bought a pair of hot pink skinny jeans (haha for someone else)

I went to WV this past weekend for Easter.  My intention was to ease the work that my 2 aunts do for my grandfather and also to spend time with my grandfather so this holiday did not seem so quiet without my grandmother.  But actually the opposite happened...

I got there early Friday afternoon and spent some time with my dad's parents.  I love them and spending time with them but I think we don't always know what to say or do together.  My entire life it seemed that my brother fit in better with my dad's side and I fit in better with mom's side.  This weekend gave me a chance to see how both sides have made me who I am.  But on Friday, after we exhausted all the conversations, my grandmother decided to go through her old boxes of things in storage and give me some hidden treasures.  Mamaw wanted to show me some of my dad's old drawings from college because she knew that I love art.  I knew my dad could draw but his cousin is the real artist in the family.  Just recently I got a painting that my grandmother's mother painted when she was very young.  And then it happened... the one thing that made me feel a part of the Core family... my grandmother's drawings.  She was AMAZING!  She had portraits with the original photos and they were soooo good.  I couldn't believe it.  She was way better than I could ever hope to be.  In that moment all I wanted to do is see more!

Then I was off to my grandfather's house on my mom's side.  I always felt at home there.  They are loud and extreme and exciting and everything I love.  People feel loved and valued with my family. And in my attempt to love my family by serving them, they couldn't help but serve me.  I tried desperately to cook for my papaw but he only wanted my aunt to cook for him because that's who does it everyday.  So my aunt cooks for me too!  But if I did cook and clean and do all things I had expected to do I wouldn't have gotten to just be with my cousins.  I so value the time I had with Brea (7) and Cody (17).  I went to Brea's Easter Egg Hunt where I got conned into face painting for a bunch of kids.  Then with Cody, we went to the mall.  It was the conversation that made it awesome for me.  I love hearing him seek God and the Truth rather than simply taking someone's word for it (including mine).  And although it was a short time my cousins Nick and TJ, now men, I enjoyed watching them take care of the house, their mom, the finances, working hard and making something of themselves and their family.  Their dad is gone but I see their dad in them, men of honor. 

I got more sleep than I could have ever imagined while there.  Probably the only way I would have gotten this rest is with grandparents.  Papaw Don goes in bed in front of the television is a clue to go to your room and do what?  Go to bed of course at 9pm.  I arrived to my mamaw and papaw Core's Easter Sunday to stay the night with them and by 6 they were ready to put me to bed, haha! 

I treasure the time I have with family. I learn more and more about myself, who I come from, how they impact me, who I want to be, and how they have inspired me.

No comments:

Post a Comment