Sunday, February 19, 2012

Back to the Future

New things: Circus!!

I have a k-5 boy at work that has self-appointed himself as my "helper".  Really that means he walks with me to the office so he gets a special toy to play with when he is fed up with his group's activity.  He is a challenge most of the time, but lets be honest, that's why I love him.  Or it is because he brought me roses for Valentines Day.  He got mad at me the other day for not letting him go to another group's activity so he threw a block, tensed his body and in a truly angry voice said to me "I'm mad at you!  Wanna play Uno?"  With an invitation like that, who could resist.

Today, however, was one of those days that reminded me of my entire life's purpose.  I totally can see God's work in my life to bring me to this point! My education, jobs, desires, gifts from God, burdens, and joy all point me to my desire to love and serve those that can't speak up for themselves.  The child that cannot count on their parents for a future.  For the girl that does not believe they are valuable.  For the boy that refuses to choose the narrow path.  For the parents that have found themselves in jail, drugs or bankruptcy. 

 Today:  My dear friend was having a moment.  Frustrated getting out in a game and shoved a girl that was quite concerned with his integrity of playing the game fairly.  When he came to me you could see him at boiling point.  Outside in front of the school he began to run away from me because he refused to come sit down.  DANGER!  I'm not trying to run after a 5 year old, he's fast!  Thankfully, he had set limitations in his mind how far he could run.  He stopped at the edge of the grass before it hits the sidewalk next to the street.  He allowed me to catch him.  I picked him up and got him in the cafeteria and held him in my lap hugging him so that he could not break free, bolting towards the doors.  We sat there with him begging me to let go, crying, sweating, and frustrated.  Suddenly a purple car arrives in front of the school.  A momentary pause paralyzed him and he realizes it is not mom but the car has come for him.  It was the aunt.  I'm standing with him in my arms, previously struggling to get as far from me as possible, now clinging as tight as he can.  Still crying but begging me not to let go. Laying his head on my shourlder with tears streaming down his face.  It broke my heart.  It scares me.  I'm limited and helpless.  I can't save him.  I have to hand him over.  All I can do is hold him close, rub his back and say "I know buddy.  I love you". 

It broke my heart.  All I want is to be able to love them.  I want to help.  Give hope (in Christ).  I want more than to comfort.  I want to make a difference.  I want to give them their potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment