Saturday, February 25, 2012

Diving into an empty pool

New Things: Chuck E. Cheese, Mellow Mushroom Trivia Night, Peanut Butter M&Ms addiction, Visited the SPCA

Most people jump to conclusions.  A slice of time and context can be the gateway for the imagination to run away.  Possibilities and stories are created in the mind to the point that it is blurred with reality.  Presuppositions are concrete and facts are irrelevant.  People don't jump, they plunge into the extremes: the worst possible scenario or the hope for a lovestruck stocker. 

I'm logical.  I like to think fully through a situation.  I view things in all perspectives before forming my opinions and conclusions.  I won't let my eyes deceive me.  I ask questions and assume the best in people.  I won't share my opinions as fact.  I assume the worst in myself before I do in others.  Innocent until proven guilty.  (mom always thought I'd be a good lawyer). 

A week ago I helped teach a devotional for work.  I started out giving a list of words and asked the group to raise their hands if they thought the word was positive or negative.  The list: wicked, sick, feminine, easy, work, lost, hysterical, and baby.  Each of these words on their own at first glance can be good or bad.  The idea was being positive is a whole person job.  Our words, actions, relationships, purpose, intentions, etc... are part of the context that creates this positive influence in children's lives. 

The same is true in our lives.  A cute guy smiles at me may be the same smile he gives grandma.  A dirty look from a girl may be a confused look after one of my thought provoking remarks.  A child that has a sinful attitude is still a sinful attitude but it may be influenced by an unloving home or a bully at school.  A friend that talks lounder than everyone else may not be deaf as much as they need compassion or attention.  A friend that keeps things to themselves is not a slam to a friendship as much as it is a defense mechanism.  A car that cuts you off in traffic may not be impatient but their wife could be in labor or running away from the cops. 

This way of thinking is not permission to wallow in the various possibilities.  It is not ok to think the best in yourself so that the scenario seems to go your way.  It is simply my way of not worrying about everything until I know what's real, and then accepting it.  God tells us not to worry because knows us, our desires, our needs.  He takes care of the flowers and birds.  Why on earth would we believe he would neglect his children?  He also says that he will not allow us to go through any temptation without providiing a way out.  When we worry it is because we do not trust these two promises from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment