Friday, July 15, 2011

Conditional Love

New things: Ate fig for the first time, Made eggplant parmigiana, went to Heart to Heart and won for the first time in a drawing my first apron, Made plantains, got three free coffees this week, met 2 new friends randomly, throwing a party to meet new people,  signing up for a 1/2 marathon, and contemplating a new hairstyle or piercing.
Yesterday I got to love a child.  I probably didn't love perfectly, but I hope it was conditional.  Conditional!  Children are raw and natural.  Sometimes they behave based on the only ways the know how, loud and sinful.  Children are also quick to mimic.  I am now convinced the best love for children is conditional.  We love in a manner that will condition their behavior!

Yesterday at work there  was a 6 year old child that did not want to go outside with the rest of the children on the playground.  He walked all the way down the hallway with me, to the door until he realized his group was at the playground he doesn't like.  So he asks if he can stay inside. Unfortunately, will all children outside, there is not proper supervision inside for him.  I tell him he needs to stay outside for the next 5 minutes until we go inside for activity. 
Natural behavior beings... "LET ME IN, I WANT TO GO IN!" 
Me: "I know buddy, but I need you stay outside for 5 min. then we can go in."
 Learned behavior takes over: "I WANT TO GO IN THIS INSTANT.  YOU BETTER LET ME IN OR ELSE."
Me: "Or else what?  I really hope you are not going to threaten me.  It would be good for you to make a good decision and sit in the shade to cool off."
Boy: "I wish I would just die". 
Me:  I really don't want to hear that, I don't believe that is what is best for you.  I'd rather you wait 3 min and go inside like you want".
Boy: "You let me inside or I will pray what you don't want me to pray, I'll pray that I die"
Me: "Well I'm very thankful that God hears our prayers and then answers them by what he thinks is best.  I'm pretty sure God thinks it is not best for you to die right now.  He probably wants you to go inside when it is time."
Boy theology: "God can't stop me, it is my own body" 
Me:  "God is really powerful.  Can I tell you a story about how powerful God is?" 
Boy: "Only if we go inside so I can listen better"

I told the boy the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in the fiery furnace.  We can't control others' actions or opinions but they can't control God.

No comments:

Post a Comment