Thursday, July 28, 2011

From Beer to Bible

New things: Bangs (I'll show a pic soon when I can get a handle on them), latte art competition

I was in a fog tonight.  Not really ready for the day; ready to sleep at a moments notice. But the day charges on and so must I.  Tonight after work, a group of us went to my friend Andrew's coffee shop, Jubala.  There was a latte art competition, (Congratulations Daniel)! 
During the competition my friend Elizabeth and I went outside to talk about possible topics to teach on our mission to Kenya.  We sat ourselves at a table next to a group of younger guys, smoking and drinking and staring.  As we sat down there was a request for us to sit with them, in which we politely passed down their offer in order to discuss the trip.  Elizabeth told them we would be willing to talk to them after we talked about the trip.  They took it as us blowing them off (which I was fine with), but you know there is always that one guy that doesn't stop!
Elizabeth and I were able to talk about some topics and freely spoke of Christ, the Church, the Gospel, and context of the Kenyans.  Eventually the guys next to us started dispersing except that One!  Suddenly he just said "Whoo hooo".  I just looked at him and asked what he was referring to?  He just wanted to join our conversation.  So he came to our table and we began explaining what we were discussing about women of the Bible and how we are relating it to the women in Africa we will be meeting.  Edwin, my new friend, began sharing with us a metal band that apparently is at least spiritual.  Then he shared some of his own music that he has written, which was awesome and a great lead into his own understanding of the spiritual aspect of life.  As he began talking of the universe and the god, and our choices, and heaven as a feeling we one day obtain, and hell on earth, humans connecting spiritually, I soon realized that whatever he believes he wants to connect to us somehow and knew the spiritual route was the way to go.  It dawned on me that maybe people want the Church's approval.  I'm thankful Elizabeth and I had the opportunity to share with Edwin and I got to share the complete Gospel with Lars and Edwin.
I think most people that are unchurched stay unchurched because no one has invited them and on their own they feel out of place.  They feel like they have to fit a mold to be accepted.  Even Edwin mentioned they we probably come from a place that listens to pretty music with harps and look at pretty pictures of heaven.  I can imagine if we stopped judging tattoos, blue hair, piercings, the music, the language, personalities, etc... we might have a chance to get to know the person.  Why do we expect people to act like Christians when they don't know Christ?  It is not our job to change a person but our job to introduce them to Christ. 
My observation has been that when I am sharing the gospel, most people will share whatever they know about God, Church or spiritual life.  They want to seem like they know.  They want to be in conversation with us.  They want to be accepted.  It is sooo easy to start gospel centered conversations with people but we prejudge who is willing and miss out on what God can do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment