Thursday, January 19, 2012

Kids Say the Darndest Things

New Things: Making woopie pies, taking medicine

I don't remember at what point I stopped thinking like a child.  There must be a moment when the raw truth became more embarrassing than natural.  When I realized that truth brings out insecurities or somehow robbed me of getting what I wanted.  It somehow is socially unacceptable to be completely honest while at the same time it is un-Christian to be anything less.

The women in my family yield the truth to no one, but it is the young girls in my family that have taught me the freedom in truth.

My niece Zooey, is so precious.  I'm not a mother but she makes me want to be one.  She is about 1 1/2 years old so truth is mere reality as far as she can understand it at this point.  She has learned well the importance of prayer and the courtesy of "thank you" although sometimes both are used at the wrong time (I guess prayer can never be a wrong time, but blessing before dinner turns into intermittent prayers throughout dinner).  Her newest trick is "poopy time".  She is learning to use the potty and gets super excited that she has learned to identify "poopy time" as the actual time.  Once the event has come to fruition she yells there is great appaulse and celebration for this truth that otherwise seem crude.  Yet we boast in her honesty and accomplishments.  I'm so proud of my Zooey!  (No sarcasm, for real, she's awesome!!)

My youngest counsin is the poster child for romance taboo.  Brea is probably one of the most honest, out going, energetic ball of fun you'll ever meet.  I admire her for her ability to be vulnerable and persistent.  She is a real go getter.  I believe with all my heart, the world will not be able to smite Brea from being great.  She is fearless.  However, she has broken every rule there is in the romance area.  Brea, at the ripe age of 7, has now been in love with the same boy for 2 years.  In adult world, this is normal or accepted but mostly because we girls will hold these emotions in our vaults of secrecy and die before we ever let the boy know he is the peanut butter to my jelly.  But not Brea!  Day 1 she walks up to (said boy) and announces her love for him.  The first time I heard about (said boy), Brea tells me "I love him but he doesn't love me.  I just need to wear him down."  That girl has real gumption.  She doesn't allow for the chase or maybe she understands there is no chase.  She is always available and leaves no mystery.  She doesn't mind wearing the pants in the relationship.  I'm sure by now he has seen their wedding plans in her drawing notebook.  If he has escaped their future children's names discussion he is doing well.  In the end, Brea loves him and that alone makes her happy.

As far as I can tell there is no shame in celebrating in your victories or showing how much you love someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment