Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Turn Right Here

New Things:  1st work out of the year, finished my first painting of the year

Everyone has those pivotal moments in life where you can look back and know that life could have looked completely different if (fill in the blank) happened differently.  These are the moments that give me confirmation that God loves me and pursues me even when I choose not to love Him.  In fact, God's grace on the cross and beyond baffles me when I think about what my life could be on my own ambition.  But I thank God for the promises of 1 Corinthians 10:13, he provides a way out!  These pivitol moments we have to decide whether we will turn right!

When I entered college, I left a home that had set me up for greatness.  I grew up in a two parent home that taught me the gospel, brought me up in a church that confirmed my leadership in ministry and expected great things from me. I wasn't a statistic teen that goes off to college and drops out of church.  I had morals and a genuine love for God and his people.  But college introduced a different temptation I was not prepared for.

College was a chance to start over, be whoever I wanted to be.  My first friends I met there were in my orientation group.  They are beautiful girls and very precious to me.  However we had different perspectives on alcohol, parties and guys.  But I so desperately wanted to be their friends, I told myself I can stay strong.  That lasted about a semester.  These girls never tried to change me.  In fact, they embraced my religion and morals, and some ways respected me for them.  But I was never going to fit in if I didn't give in.  Soon I became a typical partier, got my roommate in the scene, found the parties, the drinks and the guys.  I still had boundaries, they just were set a little wider than before.  My mom tried to talk to me, prayed for me daily, but it was no use.  I had convinced myself that I'm not having sex or getting drunk, what was her problem?  There are some things that I regret during this time of my life, but I'm so thankful God kept me from sex and drugs.

 During this time I was super faithful to church and bible study, but as hard as I tried to meet people, no one wanted anyting to do with me. I've never felt so lonely at church. Then randomly one night in my sophomore year, I ran into a friend I had not seen in 4 years.  He invited me to a church he was going to sing at the following Sunday, which happens to be the church my brother used to go.  I had purposefully avoided this awesome church because I did not want to be "Todd's little sister".  But I went!  And I loved it!  They invited me to lunch, half mentioned Todd but asked about me, and immediately I felt guilt for the past year and a half!  After that Sunday my friend that invited me never came back.  The following Wednesday I was offered a job at the church as the youth pastor's intern (granted they should probably have known me before offering me the job).  But this was my right turn.  Saying I would go see a friend sing in church was my pivotal moment.

The following summer my brother got married to a beautiful woman.  He went to seminary in Texas.  His wife used to take care of these children in some government housing, but it was more than just visiting or babysitting, she loved them!  Denzel and Missy were in her wedding!  I had met the children once before the big day, but that's all you need to fall in love!  Well after the ceremony Missy, age 6, looks up at me with the most serious concern and asks "Who is going to take us to church now?"  Pivotal Moment: take right turn here!  Before I could even think I just said "I will".  Taking them to church was not what I did... I became their sister.  I took them to basketball and cheerleading at the church, kids choir wednesday nights, sunday morning and nights, school plays, tutored them, sleep overs, Christmas, birthdays, helped the parents.  It was hard but I loved every moment of it.  Soon I was taking kids from the neighborhood by the car loads.  The college ministry volunteered to help carpool, provide backyard bible clubs, adopt little brothers and sisters.  The church supported the ministry and helped the adults.I was way over my head but I knew it was what God had planned.  It is this ministry that has led me to seminary with a love for children that do not have a home that can set them up for greatness!  I want to give families opportunities.  I want to love as Christ has loved me.  I am sitting here right now typing a blog about God's goodness because I took the right turn. 

How blessed I am to know I serve a God who is seated on the high throne able to judge and forgive!

No comments:

Post a Comment