Wednesday, March 28, 2012

True Remorse

I recently was in a class where we discussed the evidence of biblical remorse and forgiveness. Today I witnessed and experienced this very thing. 

At work today a father came to pick up his sweet little 1st grade girl who is brand new to our program.  The counselors from the playground announced she is on her way to the cafeteria but that she is upset about something and is unable to talk about it between the uncontrollable crying and shallow breaths.  I met her in the hallway to try and talk to her before she could get to dad.  Fortunately I'm fluent in hysterical girl speak.  It turns out, as she was coming down the slide a boy had ransomed her shoes, running around the playground where he eventually threw them to the other side of the playground in which she was left to retrieve on her own.  What a great way to welcome the new girl.  Unfortunately, she knows no names, remembers no details, and told no counselors.  But I made it my mission to find out who it was and make it right. 

I figured I could reasonably narrow down the list of the guilty.

I made my way to the playground, asked the counselors if they had seen anything then perused around until I could find my first victim.  A young care free lad was making his way up the slide just as a young girl was attempting to appreciate the value of gravity in the  use of the slide.  Collision!!  What does this boy do?  He shoves the girl off the rest of the slide so he may continue his defiance against gravity to the top of the play area.  At the top of the play area he preys on his next victim.  Immediately, the young stallion has his arms wrapped around his victim modeling the motions of the heimlick maneuver.  I called down the boy for a heart to heart.

Here is the conversation (changed names to protect the not so innocent):
Me: "Hey buddy!  Did you see anyone running around the playground with shoes in their hands?"
Andy: "I don't even know her"
Me:  "I didn't say anything about a 'her'.  Who are you talking about?"
Andy:  "What? I don't know"
Me:  "Why did you say something about a girl?  I was asking about shoes!"
Andy: "I didn't do anything!! (long pause) Ok fine I did it!!!"
Me:  "What did you do?"
Andy:  "I went up the slide"
Me: "Then what?"
Andy: "I touched her shoes"
Me: "And?"
Andy: "Her shoes fell off and I just grabbed them"
Me: "And then what happened?"
Andy:  "I ran around with her shoes and then put them down nicely when I saw her crying.  I just ran away.  I couldn't take her crying"
Me:  "Did you know she was upset because you took her shoes?"
Andy:  "No"
Me:  "Did you know she was telling her daddy someone was being mean to her?  I think instead of time out it would be good for you to apologize tomorrow.  Can you do that?"
Andy: "What?!!  I feel like such a jerk now (hands on his head with tears welling up)!!  I can't stand this.  I'm such a jerk!  I'm putting myself in time out.  I just need some time.  I'm such a jerk.  How could I do this to her?"

Bless his heart.  We talked about how his being upset showed me that he really cares about other people.  And even though it was hard, his honesty is good.  We talked about the fact that when we are upset about the things we do it is our brains way of telling us we need to change something so we can  care about others better.  So really... being upset can help you make better choices. 

We'll see how the apology goes tomorrow.  Hopefully the forgiveness is just as sincere.

No comments:

Post a Comment