Sunday, June 19, 2011

Dear Daddy

I've always been a daddy's girl, never wanting to disappoint him.  I was always nervous to see the mustache move to the side, which was the sign of pure disappointment.  In some strange way, I was a tomboy growing up because I know boys are more fun for daddy's.  I used to scream and cry when my mom would braid or curl my hair (sorry mom).  My daddy taught me basketball, pitched the softball with me for hours for little league, taught me golf, how to play an instrument and read music, but none of this is what makes him my daddy. 
I remember when I was about 3 years old I fell off my tricycle (that's right off the tricycle, biking never got better for me) and I cut up my knee to the point of needing stitches.  I screamed and cried and begged my dad not to take me to get stitches; instead he just hugged me.  Just being in my dad's arms made me feel safe.  I have a scar now but I'm glad my dad's safety is what I think of. 
When I was about 11, my dad and I went to TN for mission trip.  At the end of the trip I got real sick, so we stayed an extra day while everyone went back home.  My dad got me music and drinks for the trip home but before we even made it to the highway, the truck broke down.  In the middle of July, my dad left me in the truck to hike and find help.  That was a day I saw my helpless dad cry.  There was nothing my dad could do but pray.  This day I will always remember my dad's prayer answered by God as he brought help into our lives in extraordinary and undeniably God's way.
The first time I got my heart broken, my dad bore the nerves and came to my room to talk to me.  Gave the typical "you are special" speech and let me in a little on what he went through as a young guy dating my mom.  My dad has always been very honest with me, especially when it comes to what guys are thinking, reality of situations of dating, if certain guys aren't good enough for me, and making sure I'm happy.  I think it is his honesty that makes me value his talks so much.
In high school, my dad and I used to have breakfast together.  Some days,  I was so exhausted we just stared into our bowls, other times we would ask about our days.  Sometimes, something interesting was actually going on, but I always appreciated the beginning of my day started with my Father and Daddy.
In college, dad and I had deeper conversations about God, the Bible, and Truth.  We would rethink some of the stories we heard growing up.  Dad would challenge me to not spout off things I took for granted as truth and to study it for myself.  It was fun to find the Truth of God's word and discuss the impact it had in how we thought about Scripture.  College is when I really understood my dad's deep relationship with God.  I remember my dad telling me one time he was going into a store and a homeless man stopped him and asked for money.  My dad said he will give him money if the man would give him 5 minutes of his time.  I said to my dad, "What did ya'll talk about?"  Poor dad with a surprised look said he shared the gospel.  That was the moment I knew my dad was a man of God.
I'm in seminary now, 9 hours away from my dad.  We have phone dates on Thursday.  He has been a man that is gentle, humble, encouraging, prayerful, servant, willing, loving, patient, and steadfast in my life.  I have been blessed with a father that has made an appearance in every memory of my life.  There are plenty of other stories I could tell, that mean so much to me, but this is not a book. 
I love you daddy and I thank God for a man that has been a great example of Christ!!

No comments:

Post a Comment