Thursday, June 16, 2011

It speaks for itself

I went to the mall tonight hoping to get an awesome dress for a wedding I'm going to this Saturday.  No luck!  I hate that I'm between juniors and women, I never know what is appropriate for me to wear.  Mid 20s is difficult to be trendy without "trying to hard" or looking like my grandma.  Anyways, on the way, I got my typical coffee from Starbucks, where a cute boy flirts a bit and tells me I don't need a new dress.  Speaking truth to me!  I divert from my shopping for a dress and go buy a Swahili dictionary to get ready for my trip to Kenya.  I start to read some of the titles of "Christian Inspiration" books and I'm disgusted that it is in the Christian section.  7 Steps to this, take control of your heart, how to deal with pain, blah blah blah how to make my life wonderful separate from who God is, really means how to cope with the world until you explode.  I grew up reading the Bible as medication or an answer key.  When my life is lacking I go to Scripture to fill the hole, but I filled it with words, sayings, intentions, morality, wishes. 
It wasn't until college that I began to read the Bible as God's biography of who He is and His work to redeem His people.  It is not our story, it is not personal; it is the evidence of our Holy God.  So it is to my relief that these books cannot disrupt the purpose of Scripture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment